Glitter Gluch 9036






This is another blue (more teal, actually) abstract. Because there are a lot metallic paints used, it was so difficult to photograph. The little squares are made with acrylic modeling compound that I spread over a grid pattern. After carefully lifting off the grid, I'm left with little cubes of acrylic medium which I let dry a couple days before painting.

On the tops of the cubes I put silver leaf. It was so glittery, I toned the shine down a bit with a glaze of Golden Primary Cyan fluid acrylic. This is the second time I've used Primary Cyan and it is lovely to work with - it's SO transparent - perfect for glazing. Mix it with Quinacridone Magenta fluid acrylic and you get a fantastic range of transparent hues from blue to purple.

For purchase information, please see my website.

5 comments:

Joanna Lee said...

Love this piece! The colors and the shine...it almost seems like unusual quartz. Really Beautiful!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Carol, This is really nice. I especially love they way you described your process! What shows are you entering?? I would love to come see all these in person!

Dean Grey said...

Carol, from far away the little cubes almost look like mesh. How very clever and inventive of you!

I love the look of those little metallic squares, I think even more than if you used just a solid piece of metal. Much more interesting to look at IMHO.

Was this grid technique something new or have you tried it in the past?

Hope to see you experiment with this technique on future paintings.

-Dean

Maike Josupeit said...

Another metallic masterwork! Thank you also for explaining the process.

Carolee Clark said...

This is beautiful Carol. I really like your work.