Metals and Mixed Media workshop - Arvada, CO


For two days we assembled our metals, foils, metal leaf, art papers, nails, brads, tyvek, and whatever else we could find on our textured panels. I might have overwhelmed them a bit with all the information on the first day, but by the second day they were pros. Well, maybe not pros yet, but they had a good understanding of the materials and the processes.

This delightful group of artists was eager to learn new techniques and produced some very attractive bozzettos. By the end of the workshop I was losing my voice, but I think everyone went home with several examples of artwork they had never done before. Good times.

My portrait project will resume shortly. I think the break for the workshop, where I worked in a totally different medium and style, was a good one for me. I'm ready to attack the 35 remaining portraits with renewed vigor. Stay tuned.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so envious of your students! Alright Carol, you need to have a book published so many others can learn your technique. That's all there is to say...

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Carol, THANK you!! This was a most awesome workshop!! I had a blast...BUT, you remain the master of these beautiful pieces...

Autumn Leaves said...

Look at that cute Saundra Lane Galloway in there! And how striking you are yourself, Carol. I don't recognize anyone else from blogland, but it sure looks like you had a fabulous turnout!!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

This looks fantastic. So much fun.

SarahBowie said...

Only 35 portraits left? I am kind of sad... My sister asked me on Friday, what happened to the daily portrait newsletter? Said she looks forward to it every day. She had somehow missed the one that explained your absence - she will be thrilled when you come back!

Lokelani Forrest said...

Looks like a great bunch of women, who had a great time learning and just being together.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the group photo!
Great work by all...
Wish I could have been there!
Norma

Carol Nelson said...

I have been asked the meaning of the word bozzetto. I refer you to the letter written by Robert Genn in the Painter's Keys.
http://clicks.robertgenn.com/letters/2006/robert_genn_letter_060721.html

I love the term bozzetto. It is a sketch, or an experiment, not necessarily a finished work. I think of bozzettos as stepping stones to learn something new. Sometimes, they are good enough, as Robert says, "to march out on their own."

Nancy Standlee said...

Carol, thanks for a fabulous introduction to your metals and mixed media techniques and for sharing your methods. It was a great group of artists to work with. I plan to post maybe later today.

Rosemary said...

Carol, you are just the most amazing artist! Congrats on the workshop - and I'm with Sheila in hoping you will write a book!

Carol Nelson said...

Nancy posted her 83 photos taken at the workshop. What an awesome record of all the things that went on during the workshop.
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/album.sfly?sid=8AcOGzNqzcNGXA&startIndex=0&fid=958e30dc2b6cdcd7

colorhound said...

Welcome back, looking forward to the upcoming portrait. Eugene
colorhound.com

Dean Grey said...

Carol!

I would've loved to be there!

I'm suprised that everyone made such tiny pieces. I'm guessing that's due to time constraints and them just learning everything, huh?

-Dean

Ishrath said...

I wish I could attend that workshop. Too bad I am in India... sigh!