

Day 8
I didn't go too wild with the colors on this portrait unless you call the purple hair wild. You would think that painting down cast eyes, such as this lady's, would not be a problem, but I had a terrible time with her right eye. Had to paint it and wipe it off about 3 times.
It seems like every portrait has it's own set of problem areas. On the bright side, by the time I've done a hundred of these, there probably won't be anything I haven't encountered.
Some people have inquired about my painting process, so today I'll discuss the supports I'm using for this project. I go to Home Depot and buy a 2 x 4 foot piece 1/4 inch thick MDF (medium density fiberboard). Then I have the HD folks cut it into 6 inch strips. When I get home I cut the strips into 6 inch sections on my table saw. The MDF board is a very smooth surface, which is essential for such detailed work.
Each 6x6 inch panel is then filed on the edges and gessoed. I'm using white gesso now, but think I will try black gesso in a future group. I may even do some in acrylic with collage materials. We'll see.
For purchase information, please see my website, or email me at carolnelsonfineart@comcast.net.
I am so enjoying these portraits you are doing, Carol! They are truly wonderful and I so wish I could have visited with Saundra yesterday. I am excited each day to see the next portrait. They are amazing!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if it's appropriate to comment on a portrait of myself, but I just love it, purple hair and all! Sorry about the eye, Carol ;-)
ReplyDeleteYour work is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteEvery single one.
Hi Carol:
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying your new portrait series. Wonderful idea you have created to get going in a different, creative direction for the start of the new year.
So fun to see each new posting.
Kim
This is a compelling and lovely piece, great going Carol!
ReplyDeleteHi Carol: this new one is my favorite!
ReplyDeleteSharon
Carol!
ReplyDeleteI think the slightly less wild colors are just right in this portrait.
Now too much and yet just enough "punch" to make her face sing!
You are on a roll, girl!!
-Dean
This one is my favorite! Not only did you capture her facial characteristics, you also captured her mood! It's Great!!
ReplyDelete