APPROACHING STORM, 04008, original acrylic abstracted landscape




About a year ago, I did a painting called Red Roof that featured a house at the top of the painting, but the lower two thirds of the painting was free form impasto slashes of paint.

http://carolnelsonfineart.blogspot.com/2007/05/red-roof-16x20-oil.html. I wanted to try doing another painting with a similar approach.

This time I wanted to try it in acrylic because I have a show coming up next weekend (http://www.downtowndenverartfestival.com/), and it would never be dry in time if I did it in oil. That's one advantage of acrylics over oils, which take forever to dry, especially if you lay the paint in thick impasto fashion.

I like how this one turned out. If you squint you eyes, you can see the similarity in composition between this painting and some of my abstracts. This painting is on 30x24 Signature gallery wrap canvas and requires no framing.

For purchase information, please see my website: http://carolnelsonfineart.com/works/194216

9 comments:

Delilah said...

I love it, this is really a nice work.

Unknown said...

Carol- this is beautiful!
Diane

maggiestacyk said...

Fantastic painting!!!
I was so happy to see this amazing acrylic painting as I have abandoned oils right now (having too many problems that I need help with ... wet on wet etc.). My husband does acrylics so I'm going to swallow my pride & learn what I can from him. I've been doing calligraphy for 22 years & am phasing out of it to paint. I sold 4 painting immediately (1 acrylic & 3 oils) but realize I need to work on the basics for a while. In calligraphy there are no mistakes allowed where painting gives me more freedom. Thanks for the great inspirations!!!
Maggie (Kinstle)

Carol Nelson said...

Thanks, everyone. It's always encouraging to get positive comments.
I'm known for vibrant color, and I was a teensie bit worried I had gone overboard with the color on this one.

Anonymous said...

WOW Carol You consistantly blow me away. Great Design and
color, your Awesome... Thank you for your contribution to
art.
You got it girl!
A fellow artist,
Susan Duda

Anonymous said...

I love your work. It's so vibrant and alive. I especially
like this one....Keep doing art, Carol...It's who you are.
If you'd care to visit my website, type in martiobrien.com
Sincerely, marti

Anonymous said...

I really like this one, it kind of looks like your looking
into a bright ground underneath then the house, nice
concept, I am an artist in New york, 1/4 mile from the beach
sandy pond, lake Ontario, its nice in the summer looks good
in the winter but too cold.

Dennis said...

nice work Carol .... you didn't go overboard w/ the color ....overstate understate ...never tell the truth!!
haha ... i am very impressed with your paintings ... i will stay tuned!

Renee Brennan said...

I miss your portraits....but I LOVE that red roof!!