NEW WORLD, 30x30 mixed media abstract,02908





The exciting thing about working on nonrepresentational paintings is that you're never really sure how they're going to turn out. This painting was such a dud, but I kept messing with it. I had it on the floor using a blow dryer to move the wet paint around when I saw it turned 90 degrees from the way I thought it was going to be. VOILA! All of a sudden, I saw how it should be.
On this painting, I started with an undercoat of metallic bronze. Then I used FLEXIBLE MODELING PASTE by Liquitex to add texture. I just discovered this product yesterday. Previously I had been mixing heavy gel and modeling paste. This modeling paste is designed for flexible surfaces, e.g. canvas, so no more mixing in the heavy gel for flexibility. Let dry overnight.
On the textured areas, I added multicolor gold leaf. To calm down the shinyness, I wiped on some burnt umber fluid acrylic, then lifted it with alcohol where I wanted more gold to show.
Added a few touches of copper fluid acrylic, and done. I really like how this turned out.

5 comments:

Manuela Valenti said...

VERY!! VERY NICE ABSTRACT CAROL!!!

Manuela Valenti said...

Very, Very nice abstract Carol!!!

Carol Nelson said...

Thanks, Manuela. I am pleased with the way this one turned out. Every now and then you have a painting that is a "step up." I think this is such a work for me.

Kit said...

Hi Carol,
I love our abstract, having done some myself I know the challenge and this piece is really dynamic!
Can't wait to see more!
Kit

Carol Nelson said...

Thanks, Kit. More are definately coming.