Mixed media abstract collage, "Billboard 6" © Carol Nelson Fine Art

"Billboard 6," 40x30, by Carol Nelson

This is a re-do of a painting I did last year.  The original Billboard 6 never quite satisfied me.  I didn't know what was wrong with it, but it bothered me.

    
original version
I decided to try jazzing it up by using my "sandwich technique" that I've been teaching in workshops around the country, and in my teaching video, "New Approaches to Mixed Media Materials."

You can see the sandwich is the column of papers slightly right of center.  I also added more of the large square-patterned paper - that strong grid is really dynamic.  The sandwich I chose had some vibrant red-orange tones in it, so I had to add more red to balance that out.

The neutral gray-toned background took on new importance after I added that riot of colors in the sandwich. These quiet areas give the eye a place to rest.


There is a shaft of sunlight from a skylight touching the upper left corner of the painting, but you can get an idea of how it would look hanging on the wall.

For more information about this painting, click here to go to my website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

could have courses in Spanish