As you can see, I'm still stuck in my rust affair. The color of this rust has got to be my favorite color in the world.
I think it goes back to when my husband and I were buying our first house. The color of the carpet in the model home was that rust color. Of course, I chose the same carpet in our new house.
In addition to the rusted iron paint used throughout this piece, there is mica flake on the two horizontal bars, and a rusted Snapple bottle cap that I ran over with my car in the lower left.
If you're going to add metal parts to your painting, I recommend flattening them a bit by putting them under a board, and driving a 2000 lb vehicle over them. Works like a charm.
The other rounded shapes in the lower section are actually indentations I made in the substrate, which is extruded polystyrene. This is a new experiment in substrate. Polystyrene can be found at Home Depot as insulation sheet. It's very dense, but lightweight. There was a thin plastic covering on it that I removed before painting.
The background is handmade metallic paper mounted on a piece of MDF board.
To see more detail shots, click here to go to my website.