"POLKA DOT VASE" mixed media floral collage © Carol Nelson Fine Art

Polka Dot Vase




This painting is a torn paper collage using handmade papers and printed papers.  It is finished with a crystal clear layer of epoxy resin.  The resin protects the collage elements, making this piece suitable for display in a bathroom or kitchen.

I did this piece as a demo for my Park Hill class.  We made several of our own altered papers.  I paint the pages of an old paperback book to save excess paint from my palette instead of letting it dry up and become worthless.  The paint is too expensive to just let it dry up.

If you look closely, you'll see that some of the petals were taken from some orange and yellow pages.  I didn't actually READ the text, so I hope there's not something too racy!  The vase is a black and white polka dot paper over which I added color glaze.

For more information, click here to go to my website.


1 comment:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

your creative use of 'left overs' is brilliant, great piece!