"Golden Season" 12077, mixed media tree collage © Carol Nelson Fine Art

Golden Season


This is a warm up for my mixed media tree workshop coming up this Friday and Saturday.  I wish the photo showed the cool paper I used on the background.

It's called red rosin paper and I found it at Home Depot.

"RED ROSIN PAPER is a high quality, single-ply sheathing paper, which is widely used in built-up roofing systems as a “first layer” protective barrier. This environmentally friendly paper is manufactured from 100% recycled fibers. The fibers are set in alum to resist bleeding. It is a multi-purpose building paper used as a physical barrier protection throughout all phases of general construction."

You know me, I'm always on the lookout for possible substitutes for expensive art materials.  This paper has kind of a rosy color and has a nice weight to it.

I actually bought a roll of this paper not to use in my work, but to use as a cover for my work table.  I had a sheet of it protecting my patio table as I was using spray paint on some other things.  I liked the look of the overspray areas.

My latest kick is using Rustoleum Hammered spray paint.  It's meant to go on metal, but it looks fantastic on paper too.  With the red rosin paper, I had to prime the paper with another color first before spraying the metallic hammered paint. 

For more information, please see my website.

6 comments:

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Omg! I got some of this recently to play with!! FUN!...love how yours came out!!

Unknown said...

This is simply gorgeous. I'd like to see your work in person to see the textures. Beautiful!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Not only is this new piece beautiful, it's full of intriguing new items! You do come across the coolest combinations :-)

Harmony Thiessen said...

looks great and love the ideas. Thanks for always sharing with us new ways to create! Have fun in class. What a bunch of lucky ducks :-)

Harmony Thiessen said...

Not sure if you got my comment or not. IF so, sorry. IF not THANKS for all you share with us to help our creative journey. This one is beautiful. If you see a fly on the wall of your class...well you know who ... :-)

Wayne said...

Thanks for this