"ROUNDUP" daily painter horse western © Carol Nelson Fine Art

"ROUNDUP"
The 105th annual National Western Stock Show, the Super Bowl of stock shows opened here in Denver over the weekend.  Ranchers, farmers, breeders, horsemen converge on Denver for 16 days to show their animals and compete against the best of the best from around the country.  There's horse shows, several rodeos, and every conceivable competition from sheep-shearing to mutton busting to horse dancing.

One part of the stock show that I try not to miss is the Coors Western Art exhibit, which features western themed fine art by incredible artists who are much more famous than I will ever be.

I also like to walk around the grounds looking at all the critters.  There are so many breeds of cattle, horses, sheep, etc. all getting groomed and foo-fooed for their moment in the spotlight.  There are small animals too - chickens, rabbits, ducks, guinea pigs - you name it.

For more information about the stock show and the art exhibit, click the link above.  For more information about this painting, which epitomizes the legends of the West, click here to go to my website.

10 comments:

Berit said...

Beautiful painting.
Greetings, Berit.

Unknown said...

I'm so envious reading all the Western Art you have direct access to. Now why an Asian Gal loves Western Art so much... I think I'll blame all those John Wayne movies my dad took me to as a kid.

Autumn Leaves said...

Epitomizes legends of the west indeed. Something so heartwarming in this one, Carol. As always, stunning work.

carol morgan carmichael said...

Great painting Carol. Really like the light and the way part the horses edges are lost in it.
The stock show sounds interesting. Would love to see that. Guinea pigs? Really?

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This is amazing! You really captured the motion, Carol!

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Beautiful piece Carol.
I love the action in it.

SUSAN RODEN said...

What a change to see from your abstracts Carol. Love the action and palette, which are so successful with the image.

Stephanie Berry said...

Wonderful painting. Love the back lighting in it. Love your abstracts too.

Ruth Andre said...

Your painting is beautiful. I love the action and the warm light.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

I'm loving your western theme. This is wonderful and I've enjoyed these entries for the stories and info you've been sharing. Again beautiful paintings in this series.