100 PORTRAITS IN 100 DAYS - Tori, 24/100, © Carol Nelson Fine Art



Day 24

This is the daughter of another artist, Julia Kulish. Julia said this pose reminded her of The Girl With The Pearl Earring. It DOES! Julia is a painter known for her large florals, but she tried painting this photo of her daughter last month (see the blog by clicking on her name).

I laughed, Julia, when you said you painted her mouth seven times. I remember a quote from some artist whose name escapes me: A portrait is a painting of a person where there's always something wrong with the mouth. I agree. I think I got her mouth a little more upturned than the photo and the lower lip is a little more pouty. Yup - there's always something wrong with the mouth. LOL

For purchase information, please see my website.

10 comments:

L.Holm said...

beautiful, carol!

Julia Kulish said...

Carol - beautiful job!

SarahBowie said...

I really like your rendition and I also like her mom's. Of course accuracy is a goal, but is it really so important to capture a mouth perfectly? That would be a photo. And the photo of Tori is of course great too.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

GORGEOUS! I am really enjoying this challenge of yours, Carol!

Autumn Leaves said...

Tori is gorgeous! I love that look that you've captured in her eyes, Carol. I am so enjoying these portraits!!

Regula Scheifele said...

Carol, that's simply beautiful. So soft and suiting for a young girl. Great color choice! I'm impressed as always.

Regula Scheifele said...

I also meant to say - love the brushwork especially on her cheek. You used shorter strokes than in other portraits, did you do that on purpose?

myra anderson said...

Beautiful portrait series! I love them all especially this one! Was that quote from Helen Van Wyk?

Lokelani Forrest said...

This is a gorgeous portrait. You're almost a quarter of the way there. At the end of the 100 days, I am sure you will be an excellent portraitist.

fheathermoore said...

Oh, I'm so annoyed with blogger comments! I left a comment yesterday and it hasn't appeared. This keeps happening all the time. Grr. Anyway, I just mentioned that I found the mouth particularly difficult to pin down too. I tried several times on a self portrait and everything was fine until I got to the mouth. I thought the eyes would be more difficult. Anyway, fantastic painting again Carol!