EARTH, WIND & FIRE, 9070, acrylic abstract diptych




This abstract diptych features strong textural elements and an interplay of warm/cool vibrant colors. I like the way the neutral browns turn on the colors of the orange and blue hues. I started this painting with the grid pattern made from white acrylic modeling compound. If you look at some of my other abstract pieces, you'll see that I love squares. Don't ask me why, but they show up a lot.

I worked on other paintings while the little white squares sat quietly observing my activities. I'm not a nut case, but some times I think these incomplete paintings are watching and waiting - kind of like the ghost of our departed cat, Garfield. I swear I see his ghost out of the corner of my eye every once in a while.

But I digress. One day last week I had the urge to confront the squares and decide their destiny. I had a vague idea of using a combined warm/cool palette, but that's about it. Since the squares were in a grid pattern, a geometric design was a natural outcome. What else could one do with dozens of little white squares in a grid pattern? I threw the circles in the mix so as not to be too much of a Mondrian clone.


My husband thought I should call this "Gridlock". That is a good name, and I almost called it that, but I wanted a title that celebrated the colors.
For purchase information, please see my website.

10 comments:

Jennifer Godshalk Artist said...

BEAUTIFUL! Wonderful colors, texture, contrast everything about this painting is PERFECT!! Excellent work!

Olga Wagner said...

Very Cool!!! Your work is amazing!

David Larson Evans said...

It works for me I always like visiting your blog to see whats new.

Paris Wyatt Llanso Art said...

Wow!! This is beautiful too! Great work!!

Dana Cooper said...

It's wonderful Carol, it has a Kandinsky feel to it!
My canvases watch me too...I'm just glad they can't talk!

Barb said...

Very nice. I love the colors and shapes.

Anonymous said...

Oooooooooh, like these alot!!! You always seem game to try new things! And they work!!!

labrown said...

These are great Carol. I really like the colors and texture. Hope your summer has been great!

Unknown said...

Carol, this is amazing! The colors, the shapes, everything about it is terrific! Love it!!

Connie Michael said...

Love your body of work. Your textures, colors and designs are beautiful. Great job!