Early Snow, 10x30 triptych


I was just messing around with this one. First I painted the three panels with gold acrylic paint. The sheen of the gold shows through here and there, but does not show in this photo.
I wanted to do a stylized, limited palette scene. This painting uses quinacridone gold, raw sienna, red oxide, ultramarine blue, black, white and the metallic gold underpainting. I wanted to use Payne's gray, but didn't have any, so I made my own version with the blue, black and white. The panels look good with a black background, so I will probably mount them on a wood panel painted black.

3 comments:

Madison Moore said...

Hi Carol,
Trying to leave a comment on the horses you have in the gallery today but don't see them in your blog. They are beautiful. A wonderful change for you....so are the kitties. Love them too.

Carol Nelson said...

Thanks, Madison. I'm working on a huge (for me- 36x48) painting, so I'm posting paintings I did before joining Daily Painters for a few days.

Jo Bryan, Artist said...

Loved the snow pictures. Love doing them, too, but you really capture the aspens with the snow. Miss that in the Texas hill country.