Still Life Studies of My Stuff : Oil,Vinegar, & Tomatoes

chiaroscuro oil painting by Carol Nelson

http://www.carolnelsonfineart.com


Still Life Studies of My Stuff

I've been looking at websites of painters who paint a small work and complete it every day (or nearly every day). It's really interesting - see http://www.apaintingaday/. That's Duane Keiser's site, plus he has links to many other painters. Check out Karin Jurick's and Neil Hollingsworth's work too.
What they all have in common is painting in small sizes, like 6x6, or 5x7, and most of them are still lifes of objects found around the house.I was excited to try this because I havn't had much experience with still life subjects. I took a bunch of small items out in the garage (where it's dark) and photographed them with a single light on them to make the lighting dramatic. I guess you'd say it is a chiaroscuro approach. So today, voila, I completed TWO of them. Under Original Oils, see Cream & Sugar, and Oil, Vinegar & Tomatoes.

On another note, I admit I had to check the spelling of the word, voila. At first I typed in my Google toolbar the word "viola". Did you know there's a whole website about viola jokes? http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.htmlMy favorite was: Q:Why do people tremble in fear when a man walks into a bank carrying a violin case? A: They think he's carrying a machine gun and might be about to use it. Q: Why do people tremble in fear when a man walks into a bank carying a viola case? A: They think he's carrying a viola and might be about to use it. SOLD

No comments: